NIP 003 Derek Ryan - Always On My Mind
“Always on My Mind” is a collection of well known contemporary songs sung with great passion by one of Ireland’s most respected singers. From “Nessun Dorma” to “I Left My Heart in San Francisco”, “My Way” to “The Music Of The Night”, Derek displays the full breadth of his vocal range. This album would fit very well into the pop classical market made so lucrative by The Three Tenors, Susan Boyle and the like. He has performed with the R.T.E Concert Orchestra conducted by Stephen Hill in their production of Jesus Christ Superstar, playing Caiaphas, with Jacinta White, Steve Balsamo and Tipperary’s own Pat Shortt along with a host of Irelands top musical theatre performers
He has performed many charity concerts for The Cystic Fibrosis Association, The Irish Cancer Society and The Hospice movement. A native of Tipperary, Derek began his vocal training in 1997 with Dr. Veronica Dunne at the Leinster School of Music. During this time he worked with renowned pianist Ms. Jennie Reddin McDonald his opera performances include La Traviata, Macbeth, Dead Man Walking, Il Trovatore and Madame Butterfly.
The Tipperary man has collected a few accolades along his journey including Best Male Vocal in the Waterford International Festival of Light Opera (Tipperary Musical Society), and Best over All Performance (Festival Productions) at the Gilbert and Sullivan Festival Buxton, England. He has also toured with Jim Molloy’s production of the Irish Ring to the east coast of America including a performance at Carnegie Hall. His first musical theatre performance was with the legendary Rathmines and Rathgar musical society when he joined their ranks in 1998 for their production of ‘Fiddler on the Roof’.
He continues his vocal studies with the renowned Robert Bicknell in London.
1. Always On My Mind —words and music by Wayne Thompson Mark James and Johnny Christopher
2. Crying —Music by Roy Orbison & Joe Melson
3. Stand up and Fight —words by Oscar Hammerstein II music by Georges Bizet
4. I left my heart in San Francisco —Music by George Gory words by Douglas Cross
5. In The Ghetto (the vicious cycle) —Words and music by Mac Davis
6. You’re Still You —music by Ennio Morricone Lyrics by Lynda Thompson
7. On The Street Where You Live —Words by Alan Jay Lerner music by Frederick Lowe
8. Surrender —Original Italian lyrics by G.B. De Curtis. Music by E. De Curtis English words by Doc Pomus & Mort Schuman
9. And I love You So —Words and music by Don McLean
10. My Way —Words by Paul Anka music by Claude Francois & Jaques Revaux
11. Music Of The Night —Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber lyrics by Charles Hart
12. Cycles —words and music by Gayle Caldwell
13. Nessun Dorma —Giacomo Puccini from Turandot lyrics by Giuseppe Adami & Renato Simoni
14. Banks Of My Own Lovely Lee —written by Dick Forbes and J.C. Flanahan